On 03/05/2010 05:00 PM, Jon 'maddog' Hall wrote:
> I was looking into what it would take in the way of patent royalties to
> put Android onto the Openmoko phone.  It was a mess, even just paying
> the royalties on a hardware basis.  But people can not afford to pay the
> royalties on free CDs that they give away and may never even
> install...or royalties for downloads that may not even make it to CDs.

Has anybody here tried out the Fluendo codecs?

   http://www.fluendo.com/shop/category/end-user-products/

I'd be willing to pay for them if they worked well and broadly.  I've
heard they only work in gstreamer though, I'd want something that works
with ffmpeg/mplayer/KDE/etc.

I also note that the codec pack costs about 2x what an OEM copy of
Windows costs the big distributors - I'm not sure if that's a poor
licensing deal to Fluendo or to its users.

-Bill

--
Bill McGonigle, Owner
BFC Computing, LLC