Benjamin Scott <dragonh...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 12:15 PM, Joshua Judson Rosen
> <roz...@geekspace.com> wrote:
> > If you'd be content with something that has RF transceivers,
> > microphones, and/or cameras ...
>
>   The market for devices without at least one of those is fast
> approaching zero, and most manufacturers have already discontinued
> plans or production of such.

Right--the market for `something that can't be online all the time'
has been reduced to: people working in government or industry where
there is a concern about espionage, accountability, privacy, or fodder
for blackmail or public criticism (so: G-men, political staff,
lawyers, social workers, R&D labrats producing `high-value IP',
in-studio viewers of `Crossing Over with John Edward' and the like,
or even people attending some concerts or exclusive events);
people working with high-sensitivity equipment where RFI is
a significant concern (scientists, some musicians..., others?);
paranoiacs who really do think that they are `allergic' to Wi-Fi
or who think that RF `radiation' is going to give them cancer;
and people who are just afraid that `too many features' will
make the device `too complicated'. et al.

>   I don't like it, either, but I conceded defeat on this issue early
> last year.

Funny--I thought, about that time, that the market for `dumb devices'
actually seemed to be returning: for a while, it had seemed
that `mobile phones that were just phones' (and didn't have cameras)
were relegated to being `for old people', and were all large-buttoned
models; but then these tiny, super-cheap just-a-phone mobile phones
started appearing. Maybe that's just when I started paying attention,
and it was just news to *me*. :)

Isn't that part of the technology market cycle, though? Fancy toys
become cheap and pleantiful, which means that less-fancy versions
can be *really* cheap, and someone remembers that there's actually
a sizable market of cheapskates waiting to buy cheap stuff
(even if they don't need it--just so long as it's cheap!)?
At least until they're really commoditised, to the point where
making the less-fancy versions starts to involve manufacturers
buying featureful all-in-one bases and then actively
*removing* components, I guess....

> My PDA and music player is now also my mobile phone, and it has a
> camera and multiple radios (CDMA, Bluetooth, GPS).  Ironically, it's
> missing 802.11, the one thing I might actually have wanted.
>
>   In all fairness, the ubiquitous, always-networked, does-everything
> device does provide a huge amount of potential, so I can see the
> appeal.

Yes indeed--I've actually quite enjoyed having all of those
in my FreeRunner, on many occasions--things like being able to IM
an old friend whose phone-number I forgot to put into my phonebook,
find some lyrics that I can *almost* remember, read online news,
research mobile phones...., find resources for debugging my other
Internet connection, circumvent the useless staff at a store
by just checking their inventory online *myself*.... :)

Tying computing, Internet-connectivity, and *GPS* together yields
even more fantastic opportunities--how about a `local NPR station finder'
application? I've wanted a solution to that problem for *years*, and now
it's possible (which reminds me... I think I need to try contacting NPR
again, to see if they'll let me distribute one that I write).
I just realised, the other day, how nice it'd be to have a location-aware
`soundtrack generator' in my music-player: it would warn me when I was
about to enter a bad part of town by switching to scary music, and then
switch to fast-paced `getaway' music when it detected that I was running away.

The `always-on everywhere Internet' feature is actually, debatably,
*more* attractive than the `telephony' one. Pair that with the fact
that biggest issue that I've ended up having with the bundling
of different non-phone functions *into my phone*... is that it allows
*phonecalls* to be more jarringly interruptive than ever before--
and there are now things that I just cannot, due to physical limitations,
multiplex along with a phone-call: I can't, for example take a call
while I leave my multigadget plugged into a stereo to play party-music.

To resolve those issues simultaneously, I've actually been considering
getting a `dumbphone' with a cheap pay-per-minute plan for phone-calls,
and keeping the FreeRunner on a buckets-o-data plan. Then I might
just let the FreeRunner replace the defunct iPod.

> Those who have contrary needs are a rather tiny market.  So
> I've resigned myself to leaving my memory augmentation device in the
> designed bins outside the designated areas.  And carrying a clipboard.

Actually, I wonder how big a market *can* be found in the union
of the sets that I listed above, and how much money could be made
by tapping it... :)