On 2017-08-08 15:18, Joshua Judson Rosen wrote:

>        The  /dev/random  interface  is  considered  a  legacy
> interface,  and
>        /dev/urandom is preferred and sufficient in all  use  cases,
> with  the
>        exception  of  applications  which require randomness during
> early boot
>        time; for  these  applications,  getrandom(2)  must  be  used
> instead,
>        because it will block until the entropy pool is initialized.
>
> So, there you go. "until the entropy pool is initialized" is apparently
> about 3 minutes in your case ;)

Yeah... getrandom() apparently pings /dev/urandom by default which, as
per the getrandom manpage, blocks until it has entropy.  Sounds like
we've wound up at much the same place: I took some data off of
/dev/random, stored it in a file, and am feeding that to /dev/urandom at
boot time (and re-seeding the file after five minutes' uptime).  Alas
(because, you know, deadline), that doesn't seem to be working.  Which
is really, really annoying.  I'm *still* blocking for three-to-five on
getrandom().

I guess it's time to cut my losses and start this in a different
language.  I mean, most of the hard stuff was figuring out *how* to do
things, but I admit, my Perl and Python have grown rusty as I've enjoyed
my Ruby...

-Ken