On Wed, Feb 23, 2022 at 11:44 AM Bruce Dawson <j...@codemeta.com> wrote:
> Well, you're more concerned with files than large blocks of data, so I
> don't think either matter - other than standard filesystem performance.

I wouldn't go that far.  In particular, snapshots at the block layer
are generally less efficient compared to filesystem integrated
snapshots.  With all those static files, built-in checksums (vs
external MD5/SHA1) is rather nice.  EXT4 does handle large directories
better than its predecessors, but others are still better, or so I'm
told.  Tuning for file sizes and inodes gets old, too.  Mutt disk
collections (i.e., different ages and specs) is suboptimal for
traditional RAID; allegedly the new guys can handle that better.  And
so on.  Granted, I've never actually tried any of these things (or I
wouldn't be asking), but the brochure makes them sound really cool.

> ZFS is nice, but resource intensive.

  Care to expound?  Even if your use case isn't easily analogous to
mine, it'd be interesting reading for me and others, I expect.

> How about choosing btrfs so we (the community) can learn more about it?!

  Well, whichever road I end up going down, I'll be happy to share
notes on the route once I get there.  :-)

-- Ben