On 21 Apr 2002, at 3:38pm, Rich Cloutier wrote:
> Keep in mind that ANY new motherboard you buy today will have NO ISA
> slots.

  Not strictly true; you can still find them.  However, ISA has become a
specialty item, and actually commands a higher price because of that.

> I never go to hardware shows; to my mind, it's equivalent to buying
> Rolexes off a guy on the street corner.

  The PC shows are strictly caveat emptor.  You can and will find reputable
vendors selling good stuff there.  You can and will find vendors selling
junk that is, at least, presented as junk.  And you will find con artists.

> Sure you might get a fantastic deal, but if you don't, where's the
> support?

  Same place as with Best Buy: The vendor and/or the OEM.  For example, PC
Authority, one of the NCShow regulars, has been selling computers in this
area for over ten years.  I buy from them all the time.  I have had one or
two bad eggs.  The one that sticks out in my mind is a fan, which I simply
brought back and they exchanged it.  In the case of my Athlon CPU, I bought
a retail box, which means I can also go back to AMD if I need to.

> I search pricewatch.com for prices and have a list of resellers that I
> use.

  Hah!  You won't go to a PC show, but you buy off PriceWatch listings?
:-)  At least with the PC shows, I have the world's oldest warranty: If the
thing I buy does not work, I can track the vendor down and beat him over the
head with it!  ;-)

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>