You might want to check out the System Installer Suite at
http://sisuite.org/ .

VA also had something like this a while back, but I can't remember the
name. It allowed you to have a "Gold" system, which was the one you
wanted everything else to look like. Then you had the master server that
monitored the gold server and informed clients of any changes. Does
anyone remember what that one was called?

C-Ya,
Kenny

On Tue, 2002-07-23 at 14:08, Michael O'Donnell wrote:

> I'm looking for an automated software installation
> mechanism - I want to be able to deliver software
> to my customers in such a way that they can install
> it on multiple machines as painlessly as possible.
>
> For example, one scheme I've heard of (but have been
> unable to find at scyld.com or anywhere else) was
> reportedly developed by the Scyld Beowolf folks and it
> sounded very interesting - you could supposedly insert
> a Scyld CD into each one of a bunch of machines on
> your net, boot each machine from its CD, designate one
> machine as Master, and they'd all then cooperatively
> initialize themselves, install the software onto their
> local disks and start cranking as a Beowolf cluster.
>
> Although I'm not working with Beowolf I am involved
> with clustered systems so such a scheme sounds like
> it might be of interest - can anybody supply any
> details, or recommend any other approach to automated,
> net-based, multi-system installation?

"Tact is just *not* saying true stuff" -- Cordelia Chase

Kenneth E. Lussier
Sr. Systems Administrator
Zuken, USA
PGP KeyID CB254DD0