On 1 Aug 2002, Kenneth E. Lussier wrote:
> from one drive to the other. I was thinking about taking the hard
> drives, plugging them into IDE adapters, connecting them to a regular
> PC, booting off of a Linux floppy, and dd-ing on drive onto the other.
> Has anyone had any luck doing this with 1) Windows and 2) drives with
> differeing geometries (which I don't think dd cares about)?

I've recently been doing this with norton Ghost (as it's incredibly fast,
believe it or not - it'll also do ext2 filesystems.. anyone tried that, by
the way?)

I recall doing this awhile back, with the only gotcha of "don't try to
clone the partition, clone the drive".  IIRC, when I tried to clone the
partition, I had to initialize the MBR seperately...  But it's been
awhile, so don't quote me there.

ben