I would think you could use dd (either from linux or cygwin utils under
windows) to copy drives of the same geometry. With drives of different
geometries you will most likely have more difficulty. I won't say it's
not possible, but, I would guess that would be more steps involved and
not having done it, I don't know what those steps would be. I would sure
like to know in case I need to do it someday, however.

-Andy