As an extension developer, I don't think it's necessarily fair to burden the
GNOME team with building a wrapper API and maintaining backwards compatibility
forever. Even if this did come to fruition, it would likely end up too narrow
in scope to give extensions the flexibility they enjoy now by being able to
override basically any behavior in the shell.

That said, it is extremely frustrating that there is no possible way to fix and
release an extension on extensions.gnome.org before a new GNOME release occurs.
Breaking changes are made literally up until the Release Candidate is
generated, and the extension review queue may sit untouched for months (which
is a major problem itself). A week or two should be built into the timeline for
extension developers to release an updated version to e.g.o., and then the
extension review queue should be cleared before the new version is released.