On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 15:09:08 +0000
Graham Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I doubt that the intention was to provide more rights to users of
> modified programs which read commands interactively than to users of
> any other software licensed under the GPL. Therefore by extrapolation
> it is saying that by licensing the work under the GPL (which is
> required when an original work is modified) the licensee (for the
> moment take that to be the owner of the physical copy) must permit
> users of the work to obtain copies (and thus become licensees
> themselves) which they are then free to distribute and/or modify under
> the terms of the GPL.

This very wide interpretation (giving copies to all who come into
contact with the program) is not how the GPL has been interpreted by
the FSF itself.

|-----------------------------------

|------------------------------------

|-------------------------------

|--------------------------------

|--------------------------------
| * If someone steals a CD containing a version of a GPL-covered
| program, does the GPL give him the right to redistribute that
| version?
|
| If the version has been released elsewhere, then the thief probably
| does have the right to make copies and redistribute them under the
| GPL, but if he is imprisoned for stealing the CD he may have to wait
| until his release before doing so.
|
|     If the version in question is unpublished and considered by a
| company to be its trade secret, then publishing it may be a violation
| of trade secret law, depending on other circumstances. The GPL does
| not change that. If the company tried to release its version and still
| treat it as a trade secret, that would violate the GPL, but if the
| company hasn't released this version, no such violation has occurred.

So it would seem you're out on a limb with your interpretation.

Take care,

--
Stefaan