John,

Thanks for the Yoda-like confirmation. Glad that it worked.

For what it’s worth, the light that went on was that I needed to watch
carefully which repository (mine vs. the origin) and which branch
(maint/master/my branches) were selected. I also was not noticing that Github
changes from my forked repository to the origin when I issue a pull request;
this change in perspective is disconcerting if you don’t recognize it.

Finally, before I go and do anything else, what exact steps do I need to do on
my end to ensure that my fork is synced with the origin? It would be nice not
to nuke everything again because I messed up my fork.

David