John,

Thanks very much. That's good news -- not that I have a corrupted data file, but that I have a way forward!

CMR

On 02/23/2018 12:04 PM, John Ralls wrote:

On Feb 23, 2018, at 9:40 AM, C M Reinehr <c...@reinehr.net> wrote:

John,

FYI, by clean I meant that I was running only Debian compiled programs
downloaded from the repository, but in all honesty had forgotten that I had
tried to install some of Doug Doughty's custom reports.

In any case, I reinstalled Gnucash, created a new .gnucash directory into which I
copied my existing gnucash data file (gnucash.personal in sql format) & tried
again. Now I get only:

Found Finance::Quote version 1.35
Segmentation fault
I also rebuilt the data file with the .dump command.

Here's the contents of the gnucash.trace file:

* 11:33:18  CRIT <gnc.backend.dbi> [sqlite3_error_fn()] DBI error: -6: An
invalid or out-of-range index was passed to libdbi
Looks like you've got some bad data in your file. There have been several
segfault fixes to the SQL backend since 2.6.4, but until you get around to
upgrading those aren't available to you. You'll have to use the sqlite3
command-line tool to fix the row that's crashing.

To find out what row that is, run `gnucash --log gnc.backend.dbi=debug`. That
will write the SQL queries to your gnucash.trace file. The last one before the
crash will reveal what row in what table is the problem and you can work up a
query to fix it.

https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/SQL describes the schema.

Regards,
John Ralls

--
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." --
General James Mattis