I like the GNC prefix.

I have 20 mail lists that I subscribe to.
17 use the subject prefix which results in precise filtering to my folders at my ISP level (I don't need to filter locally, so I can access the emails in the proper folders no matter which platform and therefore email client I use, Linux, Windows, phone, tablet, etc.).

I try to filter the 3 lists without subject prefixes using the available sender, to, and CC options my ISP provides (list ID is not included, subject is available for the good lists that use a subject prefix). But within each list the emails have the list name/address in various positions, it is not consistent. Sometimes my ISP doesn't match the filters and then tags the email as junk. But in the majority of my mail lists that DO use the subject prefix I have never had emails flagged as junk. The filtering to folders is more precise.

I'm surprised at the objections, as my experience is that mail lists adding the list ID in the subject is the 'norm' and very common. The few, like gnucash was, that don't are the outlier.

It may not be a 'standard' requirement for mail lists, but when almost all do it it becomes a 'defacto' standard and should be followed.