On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 at 10:58, Ian Lancaster <gcbb1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Colin
>         Thanks for your very quick reply to my problem.
>         I have tried the File>Open but the new app seems to overrule the
> original program.

I don't understand what you mean by that, you should get a file
browser so you can browse to the location.  Please explain what you
are seeing.

>         The Apple techs tell me that the accounts seem to be contained in the
> app and not with my other documents.

No, when you first saved your accounts file you would have been shown
a browse window to decide where to put it.  That is where you have to
browse to using File > Open

>         I had reconciled my accounts up until the end of last month so I was
> prepared to start again even though it was unfortunate to loose all that
> information that is why I was urged to contact GnuCash to see if it was
> possible to find a way to retrieve the original information.
>         You reminded me of something I had forgotten.  I have backups of all
> my data so I have the answer.
>         One thing, the Apple techs showed me was, that in the System
> Preferences, HQ has reduced the acceptable apps to; 1 From the App Store, and
> 2    From recognised developers.  They have removed unrecognised developers;
> without the option of you being able to open the program .  They say HQ has
> done this in the name of Security.

I use don't use Apple, so can't comment on that.  No doubt John Rails
will interject when he sees this.  I suspect Apple Tech are leading
you up the garden path.

Colin