For  me the parent placeholder account in GnC is the bank account that is being reconciled.  The sub-accounts in GnC are just my way of delegating the funds within that account for certain  purposes.

I'm not sure about the use case of using the placeholder as a grand total for all accounts held at the bank and then reconciling all of them in one step (checking, saving, CD, money market).  I suppose if they were all reported on a single statement....