At Thu, 5 Jan 2023 11:52:04 -0500 stepbystepf...@comcast.net wrote:

> This discussion merits a comment.
>
> ALL .csv means is an indication that the data is in a file of "records"
> each of which contains data fields separated by commas. It does not mean
> ANYTHING about what the fields mean (what sort of data is there) or what
> is the logical order of the fields.

Does gnucash include a "header row"?  If so, this will provide a level of
"documentation" of what the data is.

> Thus a record with the data  A,BAC,WYZ,LMNOP  would be a perfectly well
> ordered record with four fields separated by commas. But it would have
> no meaning to your accountant.
>
> So what we are really talking about "would an accountant be happy with
> data exported from gnucash in .csv (with the fields that gmucash puts
> into these records, in the order in which gnucash puts them, etc.). For
> example, the data that the accountant want might be there but not in the
> order expected by his or her software.
>
> << those of you using a 'nix OS should be able to write a shell script
> to rearrange the order --Note that this cannot be a responsibility of
> gnucash to :get the order right" as no way to know what order is
> required. AFAIK there is no accepted standard << but if there were, then
> a request "make the export/imports of gnucash match this published
> standard" would be a legitimate request >>

I would expect that the .csv file could be imported in a "modern" spreadsheet
program (Excel, localc, etc.) by the accountant. If there is a header row, the
columns would be labeled. I expect most modern spreadsheet programs can
re-order columns.

> Michael D Novack

Robert Heller             -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364
hel...@deepsoft.com       -- Webhosting Services