Bite,

Another difficulty is that most banks currently provide statements (as distinct
from OFX or CSV transactional records which are not necessarily certified by the
bank to be correct) in a pdf form and not a digital form.

These are not easily imported into GnuCash for use in reconciliation procedure.
At present this would require an OCR read and conversion to an appropriate
digital format. Sure it is doable in principle, but the point of reconciliation
is to assure yourself that the transactions have been entered/imp[orted
correctly and the external and internal views of your accounts conincide.

Just like the import matching process, you would then have to check that the
reconciliation has automatically correctly matched every transaction. A priori,
you don't know which ones it has correctly or incorrectly matched.

No matching procedure is going to be perfect all of the time. It may miss a
match to transactions which it should have matched and it may match to
transactions it should not have. When you rely on an automated procedure,
particularly when it is reliable most of the time, but maybe incorrect
occasionally, you are less likely to pick up the few times when it is not
correct and that is the whole point of a manual reconciliation.

The current reconciliation process does not waste time on already reconciled
transactions, it assumes they have been correctly reconciled up to the closing
date of the last reconciled statement.

Whether the developers feel this is worth doing will likely depend on banks
widely adopting a digital statement format suitable for importing into GnuCash
and whether they feel the coding effort is worth the productivity gains which
might result. If they don't, feel free to start coding it yourself.

Does your bank produce OFX statements which are certified by their accountant to
be a true and correct record up to a specified date? If not there is little
point in  the discussion. M

y bank does not provide statements in this format and AFAIK has no intention to
in the forseeable future. Banks that do produce proper digital statements
currently use (Europe)MT940 and/or the (US)BAI2 format