On Sun, 29 Jan 2023, Liz Dodd wrote:

I envisage burning a CDROM with the books, and a Windows distribution
of GNC, hopefully so they can simply put the disk in and click to run.
Obviously, the books will be read-only in that event, but they'd be
navigable.

I do it, and the year I didn't provide the .exe file I got asked for
it. That was related to Covid lockdown and sending the files
electronically, instead of my usual CD-ROM

I've not followed this whole thread, so excuse me for jumping in. I've run
my business using only linux since 1997 and gnucash for most of that time.
I've sent business and personal end-of-year financials to my CPAs as PDF
files ... generated by gnucash, with scanned supporting documents. As of
last year I'm completely paperless. Saves a lot of file draw space. :-)

Here in Oregon CPAs must use the state's software which limps along on only
Windows, so no matter whatever form the client data arrives they have to
rekey it. I suppose the feds have the same requirement.

It's never been an issue.

HTH,

Rich