Yep; when I worked in a bank, we were always having to call people around
the beginning of the year to check with them.

I remember that we once did find a very old check; if memory serves (it was
a LONG time ago), they were on checks in the 1300s, and the old check was
from the 100s... and it was years out of date. I think we called the
customer to check before we processed it.