On June 16, 2023 at 15:11 EDT, John Ralls wrote:

On 06/15/2023 12:23 -0700, Bruce S wrote:

Non-production release 1.56_02 is available for evaluation/testing.

It can be installed via cpan/cpanm as 'BPSCHUCK/Finance-Quote-1.56_02.tar.gz'.

The YahooWeb module currently requires the Date::Business module. Installing it cannot be done unattended, as the Makefile.PL used requires a yes/no question be answered. Not updated since January 2000, attempts to reach the author have been unsuccessful so far. Maybe you could use Date::Manip::Date_PrevWorkDay instead?

As I mentioned, I was looking at that along with Date::Business. I also looked at Date::Holidays today.

What I found about Date::Manip is that for business mode calculations the module requires a configuration file. See Date::Manip::Config where is notes:

"NOTE: if you use business mode calculations, you must have a config file since this is the only place where you can define holidays."

From the documentation (a rabbit hole of many man pages/PODs) that includes have date_PrevWorkDay skip over weekends (haven't tested if this just means you want to define your own custom work week).

I going to assume that requiring GnuCash users to have a config file for Date::Manip and keep it updated could be problematic for some.

What I found about Date::Holidays so far is that users would need to install all the Date::Holidays::<country> modules that Finance::Quote may use. F::Q would then be at the mercy of all the different authors with respect to those modules being updated. Also, the current US or USFederal modules do not account for Juneteenth or Good Friday. Juneteenth being a newly created holiday here in the US, and Good Friday is observed by the US stock market each year.

But either way it's pretty US-centric because of the holidays enumeration. What about the Monday-Friday trading days assumption?
Is that valid for all of the stock markets that Yahoo can get quotes
for?
I'm at a loss. Although at the current moment, YahooWeb isn't required as long other viable quote sources exist. I like the Date::Business module, I just wish its install honored the PERL_USE_MM_DEFAULTS environment variable. It would be trivial to create different holiday subroutines for various exchanges/countries and use the one for the exchange indicated in the data returned. I have started the process CPAN/Pause requires for adopting the Date::Business module namespace if the original author/authors are unresponsive.

Bruce S.