I'm not sure exactly how those numbers are calculated and I've never relied on them.

Perhaps a Balance Sheet would work better. You'd only need to know the headline numbers:

Total Assets
Total Liabilities
Total Equity

(perhaps, Retained Earnings/Losses, if you like, though that is part of the Equity section)