There are many situations where that can legitimately happen-- for example,
when you have two charges contributing to a particular total (think of a
paycheck with income from base salary and income from bonuses). Your want to
see each listed separately, even though they combine to one final figure.

And yes, it can be confusing. I have found that changing the register view to
Transaction View can simplify things by showing each transaction as a single
entity, with each entry split showing as part of the whole.

⁣David T. ​