On 2023-07-20 10:46, Henry Law wrote:
> Should GNUCash refuse to allow a transaction to have two splits into
> the same account?  My knowledge of accounting is scant, but with it I
> can't see why one would ever legitimately do that.

Here's a recent example where _three_ splits in a transaction referenced
the same account. I paid for my groceries with a credit card, then
before leaving the register I noticed that the cashier had rung up my
two $0.49 bunches of scallions as $1.99 "Mexican onions". You'd think
she would apologize and hand me the $3.00 difference in cash, or at
least just credit my card the $3.00. No, she insisted on crediting the
$3.98 mischarge, then running a new charge of the correct $0.98. The
whole operation took upwards of ten minutes, and she apparently felt no
apology was needed for her mistake and the wasted time.

When I got home I entered the transaction like this:
Debit:  Groceries $100.98
Credit: AP CapitalOne Visa $103.98
Debit:  AP CapitalOne Visa $3.98
Credit: AP CapitalOne Visa $0.98
with suitable notes in the memo lines. Since there would be three lines
on my next statement, I needed three splits in GC.

(The other groceries didn't cost $100, but I use that number to make the
transaction clearer for this note.)

BTW, a split _does_ reference only one account. I think you meant to say
"a transaction" rather than "a split" in your subject line.

Stan Brown
Tehachapi, CA, USA
https://BrownMath.com