That’s a fair point Wm, manually changing the system locale is something
I’m open to trying out in the coming days.

In terms of a fix if it is being considered I would suggest that the books
default currency setting should always take precedence over the systems
settings.

I am all set for now (by remembering to update the currency for each new
vendor) but happy to help with more screenshots or info if someone if
planning a fix or wants me to test a change.

Regards,
Yazad


On Thu, Sep 24, 2026 at 9:18 AM Wm Tarr <[email protected]> wrote:

> Reading through the thread my guess is there is a bug where the business
> functions, specifically creating Customers / Vendors, are checking the
> OS for locale information instead of using the default currency.  If I
> am right the sensible way to fix this is to set your locale to Canada,
> is there a reason you have it as en-US?  Anyway, you can at least test
> my theory by setting it to Canada and seeing if the Customer / Vendor
> default currency behaviour changes too.
>
> Wm
>
> On 2026-09-24 07:30, Yazad Khambata wrote:
> > Thank you Liz for investigating and sharing. I haven't tried anything on
> > the customer side yet. The issue I am noting above is associated with
> > Vendor and Bill. In my case I was able to create a bill but unable to
> post
> > it until I ensured that the vendor's payment information was explicitly
> > updated to CAD (the fact that the vendor was by default associated with
> USD
> > wasn't apparent to me at first).
> >
> > Also mapping my use-case to your PoC - my locale is en-US, not sure what
> > install I have. I created a CAD book and expect all my transactions to be
> > in CAD. The vendor was created by default with USD payment information
> (not
> > something I was expecting).
> >
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 23, 2026 at 1:59 PM Liz <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> On Wed, 23 Sep 2026 10:43:41 -0700
> >> Yazad Khambata <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>
> >>> Yes everything in my books is expected to be in CAD. The issue was
> >>> despite choosing CAD as the currency during the book's setup, when I
> >>> create a new vendor, it was setting the vendor's default currency to
> >>> USD. This wasn't obvious at first since the currency info is on a
> >>> separate "Payment Information" tab of the "New Vendor" dialog. Added
> >>> a screenshot to show this. My books are for CAD but the new vendor is
> >>> selecting USD by default and if this is not corrected, it prevents
> >>> posting the bills from said vendor.
> >>>
> >>> Hoping this demonstrates the issue. I am no longer blocked since I
> >>> discovered that the currency needed to be fixed with each new vendor I
> >>> create.
> >>>
> >>> I am suspecting on possible issue could be that the locale on my
> >>> system is US but I am working on books for Canada. Which is why I
> >>> feel despite me setting the default currency as USD the Vendor flow
> >>> is not respecting the choice and probably defaulting to the system
> >>> locale. This is just a hunch.
> >>>
> >>> Regards,
> >>> Yazad
> >> My computer locale is AU. My Gnucash install is in AU.
> >> I created a new book for a new entity and then I had a new customer
> >> created in USD.
> >> All my dealings are in AUD, and I couldn't make an invoice.
> >>
> >> Liz
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> gnucash-user mailing list
> >> [email protected]
> >> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
> >> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> >> -----
> >> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> >> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
> >>
> > _______________________________________________
> > gnucash-user mailing list
> > [email protected]
> > To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
> > https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> > -----
> > Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> > You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-user mailing list
> [email protected]
> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> -----
> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[email protected]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Reply via email to