Fred, did you try on OpenBSD?

This smells to me like an issue of relying upon the platform dependent
shared library constructor call order.

perhaps the innocuous looking NSBundle changes here:
https://github.com/gnustep/libs-base/commit/43673452a505a79a55dd1d59b0789f5ebc2eec0c#diff-c09284bb3ef153ed33bb7f447c4fe88e

such as perhaps: NSBundle +load -> +initialize, and perhaps
GSTinyString's +load or some such being called in an unexpected order.
anyhow, the setName: call should result in a memcpy... perhaps
Riccardo could give it a go without that change.