Hi all,

Stevan Harnad has helpfully summarized Elsevier's posting policy for
accepted author manuscripts, but has left out a couple of really
important elements.

He is correct that all our authors can post voluntarily to their
websites and institutional repositories.  Posting is also fine where
there is a requirement/mandate AND we have an agreement in place.  We
have a growing number of these agreements.

An overview of our funding body agreements can be read here:
www.elsevier.com/wps/find/authorsview.authors/fundingbodyagreements .
These agreements, for example, mean that we post to UKPMC for authors
who receive funding from a number of funding agencies including the
Wellcome Trust.  We deposit manuscripts into PMC for NIH-funded authors.
Posting in the arXiv is fine too.

We are also piloting open access agreements with a growing number of
institutions, including posting in institutional repositories.  It is
already clear that one size does not fit all institutions, and we are
keen to continue learning, listening, and partnering.

Our access policies can be read in full at
www.elsevier.com/wps/find/intro.cws_home/access_policies (health
warning: they are written for those who really enjoy detail) and we've
been working on a more friendly and succinct summary too (but this is
still a work in progress).

With kind wishes,

Alicia

Dr Alicia Wise

Director of Universal Access

Elsevier I The Boulevard I Langford Lane I Kidlington I Oxford I OX5 1GB

P: +44 (0)1865 843317 I M: +44 (0) 7823 536 826 I E: a.w...@elsevier.com

Twitter: @wisealic