On 15 May 2012 00:59, Wise, Alicia (ELS-OXF) <a.w...@elsevier.com> wrote:

> Dan – you noted schema.org and suggested that authors should not only post
> articles but standardized metadata for them as well.  Is there a potential
> supportive role for librarians and/or publishers to play here?  How might
> they be encouraged/incentivized to play it?

The single biggest supportive role publishers could play right now, is
to unambiguously clarify that institutional mandates don't affect
author's rights to post to websites and repositories. How might
publishers be persuaded to do this? Why guess, when we can ask them
directly - what would it take to see the following change?:

> He is correct that all our authors can post voluntarily to their websites and
> institutional repositories.  Posting is also fine where there is a
> requirement/mandate AND we have an agreement in place.

Just replace "AND" with ", regardless of whether" and we're good to
go. Without that, no end of confusion.

On the metadata front, publishers will likely want to make sure there
are useful entry points into their various Web sites (by topic, author
etc.) that HTML-oriented per-article metadata can usefully include.
Assuming they have some use for greater incoming Web traffic...

cheers,

Dan