Stevan and others:
This is also a response to the long thread on "Open Access Priorities: Peer
Access and Public Access". I am responding in this thread as it includes
the issue of "OA Pragmatics".

Over the years, you and others on this list have amassed a wealth of
analysis and data that favors OA. In the process, you and most of us have
our favored OA mechanisms and policies. And GOAL provides spirited debates
on every OA detail there is.

Yet, detail is not what is needed. We need a clear and simple message that
is capable of inducing many independent strong-willed individuals to change
behavior. Most of these individuals are part of old institutions with
long-ingrained traditions. Changing their behavior is a political problem,
not one of analytics.

The target group for the OA campaign consists of PhDs, and we tend to think
that they are best approached with analysis. That is true, but for most OA
is at most a peripheral issue on which they do not wish to spend a lot of
time. The Harvard memo is an example of a complicated political message: it
does not say to do one thing, it says to consider doing five or six things
if the opportunity should so arise. Your list of priorities is clearer, but
it is long and (politically) complicated.

Policies (like mandates) are difficult to maintain over many years. In year
one, there may be a motivated university president/chancellor/provost/...
to serve as enforcer, but by year 2, 3, 4, or 5, this person moves on, and
the mandate-exception list grows, partially erasing any OA gains. Because
of the distributed nature of all of the research institutions, this is
asynchronous process. Today, it is Harvard that is interested in OA and the
journal crisis. Tomorrow, it will be other major institutions. Yet, many of
the proposed OA policies will only be effective if implemented at a
significant fraction of institutions simultaneously.

Although starting an institutional repository is now easy from a technical
point of view, it still generates a mountain of meetings, discussions, etc.
Many initiatives die a slow death or are kept barely alive because of such
implementation and political delays.

What we need is one focused message that can be used by a
president/chancellor/provost/... who is aware of the OA value proposition
and wants to do something something about it now. These leaders exist, but
they cannot afford to spend three years fighting the fight only to have it
reversed after they leave. A few may be willing to fight six months,
perhaps even a year, if they can put in place an irreversible policy to
lead their institution to OA.
--Eric.

http://scitechsociety.blogspot.com

Google Voice: (626) 898-5415
Telephone:      (626) 376-5415
Skype chat, voice, or web-video: efvandevelde
E-mail: eric.f.vandevelde at gmail.com