On 2 May 2012, at 00:45, Stevan Harnad wrote:

> Let's be honest with ourselves, because OA will not come
> through fantasy or wishful thinking:

So true!

> It is undeniable that OA is desirable,  beneficial, inspires
> a lot of enthusiasm (even in those who don't do a thing about
> it, which is most people, including most researchers) and is
> probably inevitable.

So true!

> But it is also undeniable that despite the desirability,
> benefits, enthusiasm and inevitability, and a good deal of
> euphoria it periodically inspires, OA is extremely slow in
> coming, it has been hovering around 20% for years, and its
> growth rate is minimal.

Indeed. In spite of relentless efforts, green as well as gold.

> Enthusiasts who deny or are oblivious to this reality are
> fooling themselves and not doing OA a favor either.

So true!

> So the realistic question is: what is a credible, viable way
> to accelerate the growth of OA to 100% before this generation
> of OA advocates reaches its dotage?

Indeed it is. We clearly haven't found it yet.

> 100% OA will not be reached within our lifetimes via a
> concerted strategy by institutions to phase out subscription
> journals in favor of OA journals. Publishers already have a
> strategy for countering that, and it's called hybrid gold OA:

How is providing OA at source "a countering strategy for phasing out
subscriptions"? Muddled thinking.

> Those institutions who want to pay subscriptions pay
> subscriptions; those who want to pay for Gold OA pay for Gold
> OA. No money is saved by universities, because journals can
> and do adjust the price of hybrid Gold OA however they wish,
> to preserve their revenue streams. Hence there's no incentive
> for institutions to join or stick to the concerted strategy.

Bigger problem is that 'institutions' are far from homogenous organisations and
an 'institution's point of view' rarely exists.

> What the non-subscribing institutions get is a patchwork of
> Gold OA articles, missing the non-Gold articles. (This is a
> classic example of what is called an "evolutionarily unstable
> strategy." It looks good in theory; it crumbles in practice.)

They will, until *all* articles are OA in some way. BTW, instability is
evolution's greatest asset; its basic mechanism.

> I won't say much about the variant strategy of institutions
> trying to force ("mandate") that their researchers publish
> only in pure Gold OA journals. Enthusiasm there may be, for
> OA, among researchers, be they ever so passive. But if any
> institution starts telling them that they may no longer
> publish in the journals they choose based on their
> appropriateness for their work, but must choose journals
> based on their cost-recovery model, and I predict these
> passive authors will break into active revolt. Another
> evolutionarily unstable strategy.

In practice, various echelons in institutions (though not institutions as such)
are quite prescriptive as to the journals authors should preferably publish in.
If not guided by impact factor, then by editorship or editorial board
membership of senior colleagues, supervisors or tenure committee members.

> I'll say even less about the Elsevier boycott threat --
> 10,000 strong. The biomedical researcher boycott
> threat in 2000 was 34,000 strong, but they all had
> their fingers crossed (and so do the Elsevier authors).
> Like all gestures from authors who are fervent
> enough about OA to threaten boycotts for it, but
> not fervent enough to provide themselves, by
> self-archiving their published articles -- yet another
> evolutionarily unstable strategy.

Agree. No more than a 'tick in the fur' approach. Itches a bit, that's it.

> What does that leave (besides waiting for the current
> sluggish course of events to continue slogging on till we
> expire)?
>
> If FRPAA mandates *institutional* green OA self-archiving for
> all funded research, not only will this make the huge tranche
> of FRPAA-funded research OA, but it will oblige institutions
> to monitor and ensure fulfillment of the funder conditions, in
> their own institutional repositories -- for which the natural
> mechanism is for all institutions to adopt complementary
> green OA self-archiving mandates as well, making
> self-archiving part of routine academic procedure.
>
> FRPAA is just US funders. But it reaches into virtually all
> US research institutions. And it will be emulated worldwide.
> (The EU may even beat them to it, if Alma Swan has her way!)

If, if and if, yes. Too many ifs, though, so far.

> That is an evolutionarily stable strategy.
>
> Now I am ready for the usual welter of nay-sayers. But I
> urge the uncommitted reader to be attentive to the grounds
> for the objections. I suggest being suspicious of those that
> are based on ideology or on speculation. Mandates have been tried
> and tested; and where properly implemented (e.g., at Southampton
> ECS, QUT, Minho and Liege), they work. What has not yet been
> tested is funder mandates designating *institutional* deposit.
> But that's only because the funders have only been listening to the
> nay-sayers. I recommend a little p[en-mindedness and empiricism.

It's not a question of nay-saying at all. It's a question of seeking ways to
achieve OA and seeing that getting mandates isn't quite delivering the bacon.
That is *not* to say that mandates might not work; I'm saying that getting
institutions to mandate and police the mandates is perhaps a nice idea, but
stagnating.

It may be good to get some psychologists on board of the OA advocacy, who could
help to understand what needs to change in the mindsets of those who are in
positions to change hearts and minds in favour of OA. What's happening
currently is a cart-before-the-horse approach. What we need to achieve is a
cultural (within academia) sense not of desirability of OA (motherhood and
apple pie), but of unacceptability of the lack of OA, and then back it up by
whatever legal and pseudo-legal measures are appropriate. Smoking hasn't become
socially unacceptable due to legislation; legislation came about because of a
growing social unacceptability of smoking. (Another frustratingly slow process
with many similarities to the battle for OA ? and if you think it's different
because addiction plays no role in publishing, think again).

So instead of making the case that OA is desirable, we should strongly make the
case that non-OA is unacceptable, and motivate efforts to promote OA mandates
as well as OA publishing on that basis. Perhaps a subtle difference for some,
but fundamental, in my view.

Jan