On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Jan Velterop <velterop at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would simplify it further:
>
> "Because Open Access (OA) maximises research usage, impact and progress,
> funders and institutions must require that all researchers provide OA to
> their published research results."
>
> Any form of dirigisme as to how this is to be achieved is best avoided.
> Avoiding prescriptions for the means helps keep the focus on the goal and
> also leaves the door open for imaginative ways of convincing researchers,
> funders and institutions, and even of achieving more OA in possibly more
> effective ways.
>
> I support this.  A simple sentence powerful and this probably has what we
want - like all sentences this may need slight crafting.

The reality of the present situation is that we seem to need a mix of
strategies. What works for one discipline may not work for another. Things
have changed over the last 10 years and we need to look for changing
methods, changing finances and changing allies.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics