Andrew,

Everybody understands that in real life one sometimes has to make concessions
when trying to reach an ideal. But it's quite another thing to elevate such
concessions to the status of a goal.

The story should be like this:

We are striving for immediate, full, unencumbered open access, with full re-use
rights of the material. The 'gold' route delivers that and should be taken now,
where and when possible. In those cases where immediate, full, unencumbered
open access is — for whatever reason — not yet achievable, we should go as far
as possible towards our goal, given what circumstances may permit. For
instance, the 'green' route to open access (depositing, with an embargo until
they can be made open, articles published in subscription journals), though
less than ideal, is a good step in the right direction for those cases.

Best,

Jan