On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 8:08 AM, Peter Murray-Rust <pm...@cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 7:48 AM, Jan Velterop <velte...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Stevan may well be right that the repository of the U of Liege (ORBi)
>> contains 3,620 chemistry papers. But apart from posters, most deposits of
>> articles published in peer-reviewed journals, and even theses, are marked
>> "restricted access" and not accessible to me, and 'libre' access seems
>> completely out of scope. So if this is the best example of a successful OA
>> repository, Peter Murray-Rust can be forgiven for getting the impression
>> that compliance is essentially zero, in terms of Open Access.

I am generalizing from a sample of one in Liege (ORBIS) . This says:

*Reference: Ivanova, T. et al - (2012) - Preparation and characterisation
of Ag incorporated Al2O3 nanocomposite films obtained by sol-gel method [
handle:2268/127219 <http://orbi.ulg.ac.be/handle/2268/127219> ]*

*Document(s) requested:*
 *Tanya-CRT47-579.pdf - Publisher postprint *

*The desired document is not currently available on open access.
Nevertheless you can request an offprint from the author(s) through the
form below. If your request is accepted you will receive by email a link
allowing you access to the document for 5 days, 5 download attempts maximum.
*

*...
*
*The University expressly draws your attention to the fact that the
electronic copy can only be used for the strict purposes of illustration
and teaching and academic and scientific research, as long as it is not for
the purposes of financial gain, and that the source, including the
author’s name is indicated.
*

So If I am a small business creating science-based work I am not allowed
the "Open Access" from Liege. If I represent a patient group I am not
allowed this material. If I am in government making eveidence-based policy
I am not allowed it. It is the pernicious model that only academics need
and can have access to the results of scholarship.

As I have said before University repositories seem to delight in the
process of restricting access.

No wonder that no-one will use this repo. All it seems to do is mail the
author and I can do that anyway (presumably if the author leaves the uni
then the email goes nowhere).

In today's market any young reseacher will use #icanhazpdf instead. I am
not condoning #icanhazpdf but I am far more sympathetic to it than repos.

But I have been told to shut up and I will. I'm slightly disappointed that
no-one is prepared to consider the possibility we should do something
different.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics