Publishers are capitalists - I don't think they'd argue the point.

The hostage metaphor really works for me and for many of my colleagues, as it
involves elements of ENFORCED TAKING and subsequent DEPRIVATION tied to
conditions of RANSOM.

Eric's piece makes the really interesting and helpful point
There are no Hitlers. There are no Mothers Teresa. There are just individuals
and organizations looking out for their self-interest in a market complicated
by historical baggage

He's certainly right about Hitler, but only he made the comparison in the first
place. (A search for Hitler and "open access" reveals a rather funny Downfall
video about Hitler's attitude to peer review, but it's not really what Eric was
concerned about.)

He's absolutely on the nose about self-interested individuals and
organisations, and this is rather the point of open access! The research
publishing industry's self-interest need not be such an enormous problem to the
self-interest of the research industry. Thanks to the Web, the research
industry can regain a better balance in the scholarly ecosystem.

Les Carr

On 6 Nov 2012, at 04:32, "Eric F. Van de Velde"