On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 4:52 AM, Gibson, Lyn <l.gib...@napier.ac.uk> wrote:

>  Here at Edinburgh Napier University we have the “Request a copy” button.
> The Research Repository uses Eprints software hosted by Southampton version
> 3.2.3****
>
> ** **
>
> We currently have 4039 eprints, of which only 1315 are full-text. We have
> a mandate which states that “research students and other members of
> University staff are entitled and required to deposit digital copies of
> refereed and accepted research documents”. ****
>
> ** **
>
> Our experience of the Eprint “request a copy” button rarely results in the
> full-text being added to the item record. Often the request is ignored
> which results in e-mails being sent to the dedicated repository mailbox
> asking for a response. I then attempt to contact the author asking for a
> copy of the paper. Again often this request gets no response. Occasionally,
> the copy supplied is the published pdf despite asking specifically for the
> pre/post-print version. I also suspect that the contacted author bypasses
> the repository and responds to the requestor directly. I can’t put a figure
> on how many times this happens but there have been several occasions when
> the author has e-mailed the requestor directly and cc’d the repository.

Dear Lyn.

Thanks for the feedback.

May I suggest some advice on how to fix this?

The button should be configured so that it sends eprint requests only to
the author's email address.

If the HEFCE proposal to make immediate-deposit a requirement for
eligibility for REF2020, this should help ensure that full-texts are
deposited immediately, as Edinburgh Napier mandates.

In addition, I suggest you look at the Liège-model mandate, which has so
far proven to be the most effective OA mandate:

Rentier, B., & Thirion, P. (2011). The Liège ORBi model: Mandatory policy
without rights retention but linked to assessment processes.
http://orbi.ulg.ac.be/handle/2268/102031

Best wishes,

Stevan Harnad