On 2013-10-17, at 10:18 PM, dtpalmer <dtpal...@hku.hk> wrote:

> Our button is called “Contact the Author(s)?”  Function is similar.
> It appears when we have the email address of one of the authors
> and when no fulltext object is attached.

That's infinitesimally better than nothing -- but not depositing the full-text
is no better
than nothing.

Half the purpose of the Button is to make it possible to mandate immediate
full-text
deposit, whether or not the deposit is embargoed. (The other half is is to
provide
Button-mediated eprints to requestors with just one extra click by the author
during
any embargo.)

To see that the "Contact Author" is not much better than nothing, note that
even
publishers are providing live links to authors' email addresses on the
publisher site
of the article (where the full-text is accessible only to subscribers).
Requestors still
have to go to the trouble of writing out a message requesting a reprint, and
authors
have to find the eprint, reply and attach. We all know eprints can be requested
and
sent by email. All you need to know is the email address of the author. A
"Contact"
Button saves the trouble of looking it up, but not much else. The
eprint-request
Button (when full-text is deposited) reduces it all to just one paste-and-click
for the
requestor and one click for the author.

If the author's institution does no more than provide a Contact Button, it's
not doing
anywhere near the amount of access-facilitation it could be doing if it were
implemented
properly: i.e., as an eprint-request Button paired with an immediate-deposit
mandate
(full-text).

>  We run DSpace 1.8.2 with DSpace-CRIS Add-on.

HKU libraries has a sub-institutional immediate-deposit mandate since 19 Feb
2010.
http://roarmap.eprints.org/277/
Is the University doing anything to ensure that HKU authors comply?

"Each Libraries member... agree[s] to request permission from intended
publishers…
to archive the published version, or the author's manuscript in The HKU
Scholars Hub…
[but] regardless of the outcome [the member will] make available an electronic
copy
 of his or her final version of the article (i.e., the "author's manuscript" or
"postprint"),
at no charge, to the Librarian's designate in appropriate formats (such as PDF)
specified
by the Librarian's Office. The Librarian's Office will make the scholarly
article available
to the public in an open-access repository, the HKU Scholars Hub, or its
successor."

Best wishes,

Stevan Harnad