*I.* A Web-of-Science-based estimate of Green OA mandate effectiveness —
i.e., of *the annual percentage of institutional journal article output
that is being self-archived in the institutional repository *— is fine. So
is one based on SCOPUS, or on any other index of annual journal article
output across disciplines.

*II.* The fact that books are more important than journals in SSH (social
science and humanities) in no way invalidates WoS-based estimates of Green
OA mandate effectiveness. *The mandates apply only to journal articles.*

*III. *Green OA mandates to date apply only to journal articles, not books,
for many obvious reasons.

*IV.* Jean-Claude writes: *“Liège does not mandate anything, so far as I
know.” *

*Cf:*  *“The University of Liege policy is mandatory… the Administrative
Board of the University has decided to make it mandatory for all ULg
members: - to deposit the bibliographic references of ALL their
publications since 2002; - to deposit the full text of ALL their articles
published in periodicals since 2002…*” http://roarmap.eprints.org/56/

*V.* The fact that research metrics are currently mostly journal-article
based has nothing to do with the predictive power of estimates of Green OA
mandate effectiveness.

*VI*. The WoS-based estimate of Green OA mandate effectiveness has nothing
to do with “impact factor folly.”

*VII.* Jean-Claude writes:“SSH authors are less interested in depositing
articles than STM researchers.”

As far as I know, there is not yet any objective evidence supporting this
assertion. In fact, we are in the process of testing it, using the WoS data.

*VIII*. *Status quo*: OA to journal articles is around 30% today. Our
practical solution: Green OA mandates (and tests for which kinds of mandate
are most effective) so they can be promoted for adoption. Other practical
solutions?

Stevan Harnad