Andrew Adams raises an important point from my perspective, and this problem is
not limited to the UK.

Even though I am a librarian and enthusiastic advocate of self-archiving
myself, when my library has policies that don't let me upload my work and get
my URL immediately, my inclination is to hop over to google docs. Hopefully
I'll continue to remember to cross-deposit in the IR, but in the meantime the
IR (and the library and the university) are losing out on the highest likely
time of exposure, when things are current.

A shift to immediate free access for the self-archiving author (unless checking
specifically requested) could do a lot to facilitate self-archiving, and the
resulting increase in use of the IR could increase the web metrics and
perceived value of library, IR and university.

A library service that gave me my URL to freely share my work immediately on
deposit, with a thank-you note and update on metadata checking at a later date
is a service that I'd really appreciate. Developing services that people really
find valuable and enjoy using, in my opinion, would bode well for the future of
libraries and IRs [speaking as a prof in an information studies program].

best,

Heather Morrison

On 2014-09-22, at 7:35 PM, "Andrew A. Adams"
<a...@meiji.ac.jp<mailto:a...@meiji.ac.jp>>
 wrote:

The challenge now for UK Universities will be to keep librarians out of the
way of reserachers, or their assistants, depositing the basic meta-data and
full text in the repository. At the University of Reading, where I was
involved in early developments around the IR but left the University before
the final deposit mandate (*) was adopted and the process decided on, they
have librarians acting as a roadblock in getting material
uploaded.Thisistotheextentthat a paper published in an electronic proceedings
at a conference was refused permission to be placed in the repository, for
example, while there is a significant delay in deposited materials becoming
visible, while librarians do a host of (mostly useful but just added value
and not necessary) checking. Sigh, empire building and other bureaucratic
nonsense getting in the way of the primary mission - scholarly communications.

(*) They have a deposit mandate but refuse to call it that. I'm not sure why,
butthey insist on calling it a "policy". If one reads this policy, it's a
mandate (albeit not an ideal one). For a University with an overly strong
management team and a mangerialist approach, this unwillingness to call a
spade a spade and a mandate a mandate, seems odd. Perhaps it's that this
policy came from a bottom up development and not a senior management idea so
they're unwilling to give it a strong name.

--
Professor Andrew A Adams
a...@meiji.ac.jp<mailto:a...@meiji.ac.jp>