In the early days as many on this list will no doubt remember, open access
advocates spent a lot of time defending OA from the ludicrous argument that
peer review somehow was dependent on subscription-based publishing. Have we
over-reacted, and are we now placing far too much emphasis on the
technicalities of peer review?

This post draws on an example of a journal that is now fully open access and
peer reviewed, which emerged from a conference a few decades ago after a 5-year
stint as a newsletter, and asks whether we have gone too far in separating the
peer-reviewed article from the broader scholarly communication / community of
which the article logically forms just one part:
http://sustainingknowledgecommons.org/2015/05/12/from-conference-to-newsletter-to-journal-a-challenge-to-the-emphasis-on-peer-review/

I've added two sections to the Research Questions page in the Open Access
Directory:
http://oad.simmons.edu/oadwiki/Research_questions

Open access in the context of scholarly communication and community flows from
the challenge to narrow emphasis on peer review described above. There are
questions here that might interest historians, anthropologists, or other social
scientists.

The open versus private section may engage scholars from a variety of
humanities and social sciences; there are interesting theoretical and empirical
questions in relation to all of the open movements.

best,

--
Dr. Heather Morrison
Assistant Professor