> On May 14, 2015, at 5:12 PM, Dana Roth <dzr...@library.caltech.edu> wrote:
>
> I fail to see how identifying a presumed defect (i.e., DOAJ's listing of a
> questionable journal) is defamatory.
>
> Since DOAJ, in the past, was essentially clueless (or reluctant to act) about
> questionable journals, isn't Jeffery Beal doing the community a very
> important service by alerting us to what might be an unresolved problem?

Neither Jeffrey Beall nor DOAJ is yet performing an authoritative, reliable
service.
Both are better than nothing. Neither individually, nor both together, are
enough,
if we need to know with high probability whether a journal is legitimate or not.
 Even less so if we need to know the quality (if any) of a new journal (and
most
of these Gold OA journals are new).

This is partly because there is no way to know the quality of a new journal,
whether
OA or subscription. Only time will tell, and the potential
authorship/readership will judge
it from its track record, once there is one. (This also applies to
“mega-journals” like PLOS One,
which is far too big and uneven to establish a uniform track record.)

But in today’s volume of output, and press to publish-or-perish, authors are
not waiting,
and the fashionability (not paired with a real comprehension) of OA has
conferred a superficial
legitimacy on quick publication in new OA “journals” on the pretext that it is
being done for OA
(when it is really for quick, sure publication).

And, in the background, Green OA is still there, to provide OA, while
publishing in journals
with track records, their quality standards known, having won their level
through the test of
time.

To my mind, the Gold OA journal conundrum — solved by neither DOAJ nor Beall —
is yet
another symptom of a rather unthinking (and unnecessary) rush for what glitters
(Fools Gold),
instead of mandating and providing Green OA now and otherwise allowing nature
to take its course,
letting Fair Gold OA come once universal Green OA has made subscriptions
unsustainable,
forcing the established journals to downsize and convert to Fair Gold.

Meanwhile, for those who want OA now, they need only mandate and provide it,
without having
to worry about the quality of new journals or the reliability of  Beall or DOAJ.

Ditto for peer-review reform (which is also not a valid pretext for publishing
in journals without
track records for quality). New forms of peer review need time too, to
demonstrate that they
work.

Stevan Harnad