From: goal-boun...@eprints.org [goal-boun...@eprints.org] on behalf of
Jean-Claude Guédon [jean.claude.gue...@umontreal.ca]
Sent: Thursday, May 14, 2015 9:14 AM
To: goal@eprints.org
Subject: [GOAL] Re: Has the OA movement over-reacted to challenges on peer
review?

Surprisingly, Dr. Schwartz has not yet noticed that a rather open and vigorous
debate about OA has been going on for the better part of two decades, including
debates among OA supporters. Mr. Beall is absolutely welcomed in this debate,
so long as he debates (as opposed to taking potshots, for example).

Furthermore, what I was doing was not intervening in  an OA debate; it was
simply reacting to Mr. Beall's defamatory comment about DOAJ  (I am not too
surprised... etc.).

DOAJ is an open, transparent, organization that tries to put some good
information about OA journals. It has limited resources and it relies on a
number of volunteers; in short, it does its best in a very honest fashion. It
is not perfect, but few things are perfect in this vale of tears...

Those who see mistakes in the DOAJ list should do as those who see mistakes in
Wikipedia: rather than criticize the device, help correct the content.

As for the alleged bullying dimension of my statement, I could not even begin
to comment. I do not have the psychiatric credentials of Dr. Schwartz, and
would not know how to handle categories that seem to change significantly every
decade or so. Let me be clear, however, on one crucial point: bullying (as I
understand this term - i.e. a strong individual imposing his/her will on
another individual ) was not among my intentions. I was simply rising to the
defence of an organization that was inappropriately attacked. It may just be
that one's "vigour" is felt by the other as "bullying", but then what about a
"vigorous ... debate"?

In conclusion, thank you for the "powerful partisan" characterization: this is
an evaluation I would never have dared make about myself. [:-)]

--

Jean-Claude Guédon
Professeur titulaire