Interesting question and direction. This raises at least two different
questions for me:

1.      Is access via for-pay discovery tools and knowledge bases a goal for
open access? I am concerned that the most liberal open licenses, allowing
downstream re-use by anyone for commercial purposes, will simply create a new
set of for-pay services. Authors and institutions that have contributed to open
access but cannot afford these tools may find themselves moving one step
forward (benefits of open access) but two steps behind (unable to afford the
next generation of research tools). This is not my goal, and this is one of the
reasons why I do not support the most open approaches to licensing. I want
reciprocity built into the system - downstream users should have obligations to
share back (not the same as CC share alike) as well as rights.

2.      Does it make sense to invest heavily in incremental improvements in
traditional systems based on traditional materials? We have these cool new
tools - computers and internet - let’s invest in really making use of them
rather than tweaking a print-based system. Cancel your subscription to the
discovery service and talk to your faculty about redirecting the money to hire
local faculty, students, and grads, to work on open access journals or better
yet develop innovative approaches like peer-review overlay.

thoughts?

Heather Morrison