From: goal-boun...@eprints.org [goal-boun...@eprints.org] on behalf of John G.
Dove [johngd...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2016 9:12 PM
To: Global Open Access List (Successor of AmSci)
Cc: John Dove
Subject: [GOAL] Shining a light on Discoverability of Open Access content

I thought this GRID might be useful or interesting to some people on this list.

As I started looking (see link below my signature) at ways in which to use
pre-publication reference lists to identify and mobilize authors to share their
submitted manuscripts (green OA) I came to recognize that not each of the
various "discovery pathways" by which readers can find articles of interest are
equally able to discover such content.

I began developing a GRID to lay out each discovery pathway and each location
of "open" content.  Then I started asking questions from those much more
knowledgeable than me about how such content would be found.  I soon realized
that this is not just a problem for green OA, but even for gold OA as well as
OA monographs and OER.  If a new OA publisher is unaware of some advantages to
providing the discovery tool knowledge bases with the right meta-data, for
example, then their open articles won't be included in the discovery tool.
Subscription publishers tend to know about these things because they have
on-going revenue to protect which is at risk if there's no usage attributed to
their journal.  More seriously is the case of hybrid open articles which have
been paid for by authors or funding agencies to be open but are apparently
unable to be discovered by mechanisms that are architected at the journal level
rather than the article level.  So I ask, would funding agencies pay for
articles to be open in a hybrid journal if they knew that such articles would
not be discoverable via a link-resolver or a library's discovery service?

I've now shared with GRID with the NISO "Discovery to Delivery Topic Committee"
which I joined last year.  There is interest on that committee to draft a "new
item request" which then, should it gain support, can be voted on by NISO
membership to establish a NISO "Working Group".

I'm not necessarily sure that all of this lends itself to a NISO "recommended
practice" or standard.  It could well be that other organizations might adopt
best practices or policies that would be informed by the light this grid (or
some version of it) might shine on the problem. The fact that there is content
which the author or perhaps the publisher or perhaps a funding agency is fully
intending to be open to the world but is, in fact, hidden or blocked from some
of the common discovery mechanisms is something I think needs attention.

It's offered here without any rights reserved.  Feel free to use it, modify it,
with or without attribution.

-John Dove

An Open Content Discovery Grid for full-text discovery of content intended to
be open.
          Location

Discovery
_  Pathway

Gold OA Journal Articles hosted by publisher

Articles in hybrid journals which have been paid to be “open”

Versions of articles which have been submitted to institutional or subject
repositories

Versions of articles which the author has posted in Academia .edu

Versions of articles which the author has posted in Research Gate

Versions of articles which the author has posted in personal or departmental
websites

Open Access Monographs

Open Educational Resources

General Web Search Engine

Academic Web Search Engine

Library Webscale Discovery Services

Link Resolvers (targets, sources?)

Publisher-provided links in reference lists

Specialized Bibliographic Databases

Journal Aggregations

Library Catalogs