Re: The destruction of Hindu Temples to build Churches
This post should be called: Revision class on Goa's history!

Hi Marlon,

In your last post you claimed some historical facts. You did so with much
confidence (to prove me wrong!).  Obviously as a smart individual, you would
not be making a fool of yourself.  So, I can only blame the authors of the
books and web pages that you read (as obviously you, like me, were not there in
the 16th century).

You make my point. And I have made this repeatedly!  Some amateurs are writing
these history books, web pages and expressing opinions not supported by facts.
This false facts either make their biases; or their bias is the cause for the
false facts. The other two reasons may be: plain ignorance, ani sodanchem
kaneos muree.

Yet the more you and others write THE FACTS, the more we can really help
you.:=))
You and other readers please follow the specific dates and some basic
historical facts as they relate to Goa.

Albuquerque achieves his Goa victory on November 25, 1510.
The Portuguese acquire Bardez and Salcette in 1543.
The inquisition was introduced to Goa in 1560.
Now please read what you have written below in your own handwriting.
Then compare your dates to the remainder of the history posted after your post.
Kind Regards, GL

---------- Marlon Menezes wrote:

Just to let everyone, Gilbert's comments below are yet another spin in his
attempt to deflect blame from the church.

The Portuguese did not touch any of the Hindu structures and the native
population continued to live as before.
It as only around 100+ years later, with the onset of the Inquisition that the
Portuguese were forced to change course and target the native Hindu population
and their religion. It is only during this time that Hindu temples were
destroyed with churches built on them. To suggest that Hindu temples were
destroyed as a result of a military operation that took place 100+ years
earlier is simply ridiculous! This was not a militarily driven operation. It
was purely a manifestation of christian extremism.
As I said, the more Gilbert writes on this topic, the more it highlights his
biases.
Marlon

-------------- GL continues:

Quote from history:
Viceroy Antano de Noronha issued in 1566, an order applicable to the entire
area under Portuguese rule : "I hereby order that in any area owned by my
master, the king, nobody should construct a Hindu temple and such temples
already constructed should not be repaired without my permission. If this order
is transgressed, such temples shall be, destroyed and the goods in them shall
be used to meet expenses of holy deeds, as punishment of such transgression."
In 1567 the campaign of destroying temples in Bardez met with success. At the
end of it 300 Hindu temples were destroyed.

>From another source:
The third temple is at Dhargal in Pernem, amidst beautiful surroundings. The
Goddess was moved here in 1550 AD for safety from the Inquisition.

GL comments:

Marlon, you do not have to apologize for your mix-up of historical facts and
dates. Though it is my understanding that you are an ex- India military guy and
you may be quoting "military history". This may reflect your bias.:=))
You may have a comeback, saying my history dates are wrong.
Then, please provide your events and the SPECIFIC dates/years. Anything else is
just your usual spin.
You may also want to check what military actions happened in Goa in 1565 and
1570.

Now, can you tell us, the specific dates when the specific churches you claim
were built on top of Hindu temples?
Then tell us how many reconstructions these churches underwent during their
entire existence.
As a first step, let's see if these events were even remotely time-connected.
The churches in Velha Goa were built in the early 16th century. It is my
understanding the other Goa churches were built in the 17th and 18th century.
Thanks for forcing me / compelling me to re-read my Goa history.
Regards, GL