Hi Cornel, Mervyn n Rene !

After Tanganyika ( now Tanzania Mainland) got its independence
from Britain, the new government decided that organizations and
institutions should not use ethnic names.

Hence, the Dar es Salaam-based Goan Community Organization which
catered to the broad welfare of goans in Tanganyika, changed its name
to Saint Xavier's Society.

Likewise, the name of the Goan School also in Dar es Salaam was also
changed to Saint Xavier's School. The same rule applied to Zanzibar
after it merged with Tangantika on April 26,1964 to form Tanzania.
Hence, I believe the existence of a Saint Xavier's Society on the
clove island.

and Cornel, not to be mistaken with the Saint Francis Xavier's
Tailors Society which was formed after tailors and all other goans
who had studied below Grade (Standard) 10, were barred from joining
goan clubs in the major cities and towns in East Africa. These
included shoemakers, auto (motor) mechanics and fisherwomen.

It had a two-pronged approach for as I have stated in my previous
postings on this website, it was also aimed at the local africans-
very few of whom (mainly christians from Christian High (Secondary)
school) studied beyond Grade ten.

However, many goans who served on these clubs' committees will give
you a different version . They state that the club barred them and
their kids- mainly sons as they spoke crude konkani, used a lot of
profanity -(curse language) and stirred trouble and fights during
social events.

And the tailors celebrated the feast of Saint Francis of Xavier
with a great dance "splash"  on the feast day- December 3. Strangely
enough, some of these very committee members used to attend the
functions. This also goes to state why goan clubs in East Africa
never celebrated the feast.

As for the Goan Gymkhana Club in Nairobi, membership was restricted
to the "cream" de "creme"- the "Touchables" Brahmins. And after
membership was opened following  Kenya's December 1963 independence,
subtle forms of prejudice by brahmins continued to prevail. As
also stated in my previous postings on the same subject, it was
very apparent at dances when brahmin girls would refuse to dance with
non-brahmin boys, and brahmin boys would not dance with non-brahmin
girls- even though they studied with them from Grade 1 thru
to Grade 12.

Tony Barros.
Union, New Jersey.
U . S . A .