Ref:
                                    Date : 15th  November2017

 In favour of Publication, please

          GeneralSecretary of GRE and National fishworkers forum Vice
Chairperson  Olencio Simoes  and NFFyuva convenor Hendrigue Dmello alsosarpanch
of Velsao Pale submitted an memorandum to declassify Sixnationalisation of Goan
Rivers from National WaterwaysAct, 2016  along with 12 long pending demands of
thefisherman of Goa to the shri.Radha Mohan Singh Hon Min of Agriculture
&farmers welfare,Shri.K.J.Alphonse Kannanthanam Hon Min of state for tourism
andguest of honour his excellency Shr.Ram Naik Governor of Uttar Pradesh at
theInaugural Function of 7th General Assembly of World Forum of
FisherPeople(WFFP) at NDMC conference hall, New Delhi.

          TheGRE and NFF has request the above ministers to peruse with the
PrimeMinister  Narendra Modiji to declassifythe  unconstitutional and
anti-nationalattempt to usurp 6 rivers that belong to Goan communities using
the NationalWaterways Act, 2016, only for a few private and foreign
corporations who wishto abuse Goa and Her rivers for coal transportation to
reduce freightcosts.

          Olenciostated that our Rivers of Goa have been systematically created
by the localcommunities with ingeniously designed bandhs and flow control
systemsconstructed with incalculable labour spanning thousands of years. The
localcommunities hold these rivers in commons, the highest form of tenure and
use,since times immemorial. Most of Goa’s villages and local communities
likefisherman  are located on the banks ofour rivers, and the rivers form an
essential and inseparable part of thesocio-economic and environmental assets of
our villages.

HendrigueDmello said that the local fishing communities have always been the
decisionmakers, the caretakers, as well as the beneficiaries of the rivers. Our
riversare used extensively by the local communities for their sustenance
andlivelihoods. Lakhs of local residents are dependent upon the rivers for
theirsurvival. Rich agricultural lands and fisheries provide abundance of fish,
riceand coconut that feed Goa’s population. The rivers and their appurtenant
landscan provide employment, food, water and security to our populations
forever,unless nationalization is permitted.

Theprotection of our villages from storms is ensured by the local knowledge
andexpertise in management of the river bandhs and river ecology. This
protectionfrom natural elements will also be lost in case of nationalization,
leading todisastrous flooding and destruction during storms. The natural bandhs
withmangroves are the only sustainable protection from floods and
hencenationalization of our rivers cannot be allowed.

Simoes said that unsustainable dredging creates disturbanceto aquatic
ecosystems. The soil deposits in any water-body have a certainpre-disposed
composition. Through unsustainable dredging this composition getsaltered thus
leading to death of the existing habitat of creatures andorganisms that depends
on the original composition of the soil, due to theunfavourableness of the
changes caused. The turbidness of the soil under thewater also changes due to
this alteration in the underwater soil composition.This poses problems by way
of

creationof newer and harmful organisms, transferring of unwanted organisms to
otherparts in the water-body leading to a wider spread of contamination and
organicprocesses by way of release of extra and unwanted nutrients. The
turbidnessalso causes the already existing contaminations to spread further
into thewater-body which ultimately affects the marine environment adversely.

Additionally, removing gravel from river beds by dredgingleads to the loss of
spawning grounds for fish, and can cause loss of some fishspecies. Removing
river bank soils disturbs the habitat of river bank faunasuch as otters and
water voles, thus leading to change in chemical compositionof the water.
Unsustainable dredging destroys hundreds of species of fish,Amphibians, Birds,
Mammals and Reptiles which endangers all the ScheduleSpecies (Fishes) of Indian
Wildlife (Protection Act), 1972, besides itamounting to complete CRZ violation
as Mangroves will be cut or destroyed alongwith the destruction of Corals and
coral reefs, Turtle nesting grounds, Horseshoe crabs habitats, Sea grass beds,
Mudflats, Nesting grounds of birds etc.

.

Therivers and their bandhs are extremely sensitive ecologically, and the
dredgingof the rivers, concretization of bandhs and creation of jetties and
storageyards in the khazans will cause unprecedented destruction and loss
ofbiodiversity and environment, with direct impact upon our economies
andsociety.

Ourrivers and appurtenant lands are protected not only under various
environmentallaws of India, but also under International Conventions that we
have signed.The proposal to nationalize our rivers is in gross violation of our
laws andInternational commitments and cannot even be considered in view of
theecological and environmental aspects stated above.

Simoesthat that our the nationalization of our rivers is purely for
transportation of bulk cargoes through ourrivers for private profits of three
companies, while causing mass destruction,death and displacement for the rest
of us.

                                                               -sd-

Olencio Simoes

                                                                   (Gen. Sec.
of GRE, AGFU &

                                        Vice Chairperson ofNational
Fishworkers’ Forum)

          -sd-

Hendrique Dmello

(NFF yuva convenor)

 Olencio Simoes,Joint General Secretary of Goenchea Raponkarancho Ekvott and
Secretary of National Fishworkers' Forum.Address:H.no.344,opposite health
center,Baga,Cansaulim Goa.403172.Phone:9158875851.