2010/10/30 J. Colaco < jc> <cola...@gmail.com>

From: Carmen Miranda
Sent: Friday, October 29, 2010 12:27 PM

Claude Alvares for example is not a Goan but a Manglorian, and he is one of the persons who has done
a tremendous amount for Goa!  Amen!

=== response ===

I did not realise that.

It does, however, help explain a few things. Claude probably had the same experience of a clean Goa and Goan culture as did George Fernandes.....i.e. ZERO.

I am not sure IF 'on balance', the activities of Claude and George have been beneficial or detrimental to Goan interests.

As far as preservation of the Goan ethos is concerned, it is my personal belief that some of their actions have harmed the desire by Goans to have a distinct cultural identity of their own. These actions have eventually led to the situation as it exists presently.

Perhaps you will conclude that I am quite negative about any 'hope' for a Goan Identity anytime in the future. You are right in assuming that. I believe that any future Goan-identity will be one which reflects the nonsense which is going on now + the additional nonsense which will come to pass.

And besides Claude and George and the Goa politricksters, the blame will also rest on the shoulders of the Oscar Rebellos, Prabhakar Sinaris, Naguesh Karmalis, Lambert Mascarenhases and the Matanhy Saldanhas of this world.

http://www.colaco.net/1/rivers.htm

jc

_/
_/ tambdimati: the Goa review is a community blog of original
_/ art, writing, music, news and commentary from and about the
_/ smallest state in the subcontinent. check out the newest
_/ member of the Goanet family daily at
_/ http://www.tambdimati.com.
_/