>    But I'm still thinking of NativeScript as a viable alternative.

Again NativeScript is alpha grade software and you're not going to learn
Android development with that but NativeScript development. Which means
less support, less resources available online ... There is nearly a decade
of material about Android + Java development online, you'll never have any
issue with using the SDK provided by Google. I don't understand what the
problem is, you write your activity in Java, compile with the SDK and just
upload an APK on a device. There is no need to abstract anything. You can't
write activities that run in the background with NativeScript for instance.
And Typescript and Java are pretty close language wise.