Sorry to repeat myself, but I think I wasn't clear enough, as many people
on this forum still don't understand my point at all.

Google, as ANY company, MUST force its employees to use exactly the same
standards.

I've done the same with the engineers in my company. And they used my own
code formatting tool.

And I'm glad to Google that their management decided to let us use their
compiler and their other internal tools, including Gofmt.

But as Gofmt can ALREADY enforces this common coding style, and can be run
at any time, including before committing code on the depots, why should it
be enforced by the COMPILER too ?

Really, that's the one particular engineer decision I regret. Just one. But
that's a big one. Because sometimes, almost ENTIRE teams prefer the Allman
style. That's not just a personal affair. All that because maybe 2 or 3
languages designers have decided so, moreover to make it easy to
automatically add the semi-colons.

And it doesn't even work well, we are now force to put a useless comma
after the last parameter of a function to be allowed to split the arguments
on several lines. Please don't insult me by telling there wasn't any other
possible solution.

For instance, in Javascript, the semi-colon are also optional, but the
compiler lets you use whatever coding style you want.

You can then use a tool like Gofmt to fix it automatically. There is one
such tool on my github account btw.