Thanks for the great write up Dave, you've inspired me to "try harder" to
use it on a few of my projects after running into similar issues.

As you noted, my remaining big question mark is how existing libraries that
are above v1 transition to a vgo style while remaining backwards compatible
during the transition. That seems like the biggest wrench to adoption. (if
we can convince everyone to start using v# in import paths) I was preparing
to open some PRs with dependencies of mine to introduce go.mod files, but
as I understand it that won't be enough for those above v1.