Never mind on the “what is pmem” as I found the VMware docs.

I am curious though why you need specialized runtime support rather than mmap
on a block device? I am assuming that the api is slightly easier to use from a
standard Go perspective but given the variable performance characteristics of
pmem I don’t see why it shouldn’t be treated like any other external resource.